The MGA is a the first post-war designed sports car by MG. In 1955 the MG A was presented at the Frankfurt Motor show and introduced as the replacement for the pre-war designed MG TF Midget. Between 1955 and 1962 101.081 MGA’s were produced of which only 5.869 were meant for the British domestic market, the lowest percentage of any British car.
The MGA design dates back to 1951, when MG designer Syd Enever created a streamlined body for George Philips' TD Le Mans car. The problem with this car was the high seating position of the driver because of the limitations of using the TD chassis. A new chassis was designed with the side members further apart and the floor attached to the bottom rather than the top of the frame sections. A prototype was built and shown to the BMC chairman Leonard Lord. He turned down the idea of producing the new car as he had just signed a deal with Donald Healey to produce Austin-Healey cars two weeks before. Falling sales of the traditional MG models caused a change of heart, and the car, was brought back.
As it was so different from the older MG models it was called the MGA, the "first of a new line" to quote the contemporary advertising. There was also a new engine available, the BMC corporate B-Series type, allowing a lower bonnet line. The MGA convertible had no exterior door handles, however the coupe had door handles. The BMC B-series engine was available at first as a 1489cc 4-cylinder with twin SU HS4 carbs producing 68, and later 72 BHP. Mated to a four speed manual gearbox the car accelerated from 0-60 mph (0-97 km/h) in 16 seconds and on to a top speed of 158 km/h. At the time an MGA cost £844, the equivalent of £80.000/€90.000 today.
Möchten Sie selbst einen genauen Blick auf diese MG MGA 1600 Mk II haben? Füllen Sie Ihre Daten in das Kontaktformular unten ein. Wir werden Sie für einen Termin kontaktieren.